Sunday, December 7, 2008

A powerful statement

Tonight, I left work early because we were slow. So, once I got home, I went up the hill to CALA Foods to buy some groceries. As I walked in the store two black men walked out holding hands. I did not make eye contact with them, nor they with me, but I tought, "What a powerful statement!"

In the last couple of years, my Communication Studies included discussions and projects of race, gender, identity, and sexuality. I can think of no more powerful statement than seeing two black men, (probably a couple), holding hands. I say this because one of the subjects that I read in my studies was men on the "down low" or men who have sex with other men, but who don't identify as gay. Seeing these two men reinforced my belief that once one acknowleges the power they own, not much can touch you. So, the display of basic intimacy by these two men is indeed a powerful statement, that goes against the limitations of the "down low".

In most parts of the world, the issues of sexuality, and specifically, coming out and being visible, remain damgerous and many people, who acknowlede the truth about themselves and are out run the risk of persection and/or death for those who are living a kind of private hell, let the example of these two men, speak for itself and encourage you to take control of your life.

No comments: